Saturday, July 7, 2018

I was a very religious Jew, i accepted the Baha'i Faith - Aziz'u'llah Azizi

As a result of the education and upbringing given to me by my father as a youth, I was very religious and even prejudiced, following as I did the teachings and customs of the religion of the Jews. I had no shortcomings with respect to the reading of the Torah or other religious texts. I was quite deepened and would meditate on each verse, looking for its true meaning. It is true that my knowledge of the Torah was well-grounded, and there was no aspect that was beyond my grasp. Indeed, I had memorised most of the verses of the Torah together with their meaning and that made my father deeply proud of me. He was expecting great things of me--a bright future--for the cause of the Jews. He was hoping I would become a rabbi. But I had no desire to become a kind of rabbi and to sit on a spiritual throne.

When during the course of my reading the Torah, I encountered verses concerning the "Day of God." I would read that in that Day, the "Wolf and the Lamb" would drink from the same stream, and injustice and discord would vanish and equality and brotherhood would be established and so forth. It was my utmost wish - indeed the very thought brought me fulfillment - that mankind would soon experience this blessed vision and all these enmities, religious prejudices and inequalities between the sexes might disappear. In short, all these circumstances helped prepare me and make me receptive to the truth and acceptance of divine bestowals, until at last I met and begin to socialize with the Baha’is, as I will explain in detail later…
Download the Memoirs of a Jewish Baha'i Mr. Aziz'u'llah Azizi, here

No comments: