Saturday, July 7, 2018

Account of the Conversion to the Faith of Jinab-i-Aziz'u'llah Azizi from Judaism

First photograph of Jinab-i-Azizi in his youth with a friend,
Jinab-i-Mard Khayeshu'a, father of Jinab-i-Habibo'llah Nahaie.
Among these youth, who were my close friends, with whom we found our way to this sacred threshold, were Jinab-i-Arastu Khan Hakim, Dr. Ayyub Khan, Aziz Eliahu (paternal uncle of Jinab-i-Mirza Abd'u'llah Abrishami), myself and a number of other Jewish youth, who did not have the bounty and honour of accepting the Faith. Most of the time, I would take my younger brother Aqa Murtida with me to these firesides. Each of the youth would ask a question and Jinab-i-Furughi would respond with utmost love and kindness.

At certain meetings, a most radiant elderly man named Mulla Muhammad Rida-Yazdi, was present. He had much regard for the youth and his sincerity attracted them so that they would not waste a moment's effort to strive and seek after the truth. Other youth were hesitant and suspicious of his attention and love towards them and feared this was but a trick to lure them into the Faith.

We continued to gather together often, until at one point, we found our way to the home of Haji Mulla Ali Akbar Shahmirzadi, Hand of the Cause, who was residing near the Jewish ghetto. This honourable and knowledgeable gentleman was very kind to us. Through his powerful and thought-provoking discourses, he would answer our objections and misunderstandings. Due to the persuasive power of his proofs, the truth of the Faith became evident to me and one could say that I was half-converted. Yet the type of faith and conviction which consumes heart and soul, the kind of faith which leaves no room for doubt or questioning, the type of faith which renders one intoxicated and in a state of wonderment, to the extent that one would sacrifice life and wealth, had not yet arisen in me.

Even so, Jinab-i-Aqa Jan Bolbol, Mirza Aqa Jan Gilavani, known as Majzub, Mirza Khalil (father of Mr. Arjomand), and Mirza Ibrahim Khayyat all declared, were very steadfast in their faith, and would observe all the principles of the Baha'i Faith.

Mirza Khalil was one of the respected and confident members of Jewish society, and therefore, his conversion to the Cause of the Blessed Beauty created much commotion. One day, Haji Eliahu, as I have mentioned, was taking refuge in the home of Nur-Mahmud out of fear of his enemies, and in the meantime was secretly teaching the Faith to Mirza Mahmud’s son-in-law, Mirza Ayyub. After embracing the Faith, Mirza Khalil, who had a very modest home in the Ghetto, put his house in the service of Baha'i teachers and many would frequent his house. For instance, one day Jinab-i-Haji Mirza Haydar 'Ali and Jinab-i-Varqa-i-Shahid entered that home where I met them as I also visited this place often for deepening.

Jinab-i-Varqa had recently returned from the Holy Land and Mirza Khalil had invited a group of Jews and Rabbis to benefit from his teaching and to ask whatever questions they had and present any concerns. We ourselves sat quietly in a corner and were witnessing the discussion taking place. Unfortunately, instead of deriving benefit and learning some truths, they were busy arguing and would often change the subject. Out of prejudice and the habit of clinging to their old beliefs, they were not really ready to listen to any truthful fact whatever. Such was the case until Jinab-i-Varqa stated, "There is a verse from His Holiness Joshua, to this effect: 'Eye to eye, see that they will bring the Lord back to Zion".  (a verse of Joshua). And then he said, "I saw this with my own eyes."

The Rabbis, who could not bear to hear things like this, began to insult him. Disregarding manners and courtesy, they said, "If you saw God, may both your eyes be blinded if you lie." This contemptuous attitude from them, in contrast to the gracious and courteous manner of Jinab-i-Varqa, who so eloquently marshalled proofs and cited verses from the Torah, moved me to the extent that I recognised the truth, and realized that in every age, the chief source of denial has ever been this kind of unjust, stubborn, and proud people. At any rate, this baseless response from Jewish religious leaders to the powerful and persuasive discourses of Jinab-i-Varqa stirred me to such depths that I surrendered my will right then and there. My faith was confirmed, and I took on the path of service to Baha'u'llah.

Following this event, other instances like this took place in the home of Mirza Khalil, and the situation there became so difficult and troublesome for him, that he was forced to leave the Jewish ghetto. So, he sold his house and moved to Qasvin Gate, but he would not put an end to his teaching efforts. Every night he invited gifted and receptive youth to his home, and on occasion, Jinab-i-Shaykh Muhammad 'Ali Qaini, went to his house and read aloud tablets of Baha'u'llah.

As a result of frequenting this house, and socializing with the friends there, especially with individuals like Jinab-i-Haji Mulla Ali Akbar Shahmirzadi (Hand of the Cause), Shaykh Muhammad Ali, Haji Muhammad Allaqiband Yazdi, Nayyer and Sina, Aqa Muhammad Rida and his son along with Haji Abul-Hasan Ardekani (Haji Amin) and Fayzeh Khanum - I forged strong friendships. Beyond what benefits I derived from socializing and interacting with these individuals, I compared what I heard from them with what I knew from the Torah.

Especially on Fridays and holidays I would go with them to various gardens throughout the suburbs of Tehran, and I was always on the alert to learn and add to my knowledge. It was then that Yunis Khan Afrouhteh - who later became known as Dr. Yunis Khan - along with Dr. Arastu Khan Hakim (Father of Mr. Gholam Husayn Khan and Prof. Manucher Hakim) were summoned to the Holy Land. Since Mirza Arastu Khan was a very sincere and kind friend of mine, I called upon him to act as my go-between and to ask that I too might be given permission for pilgrimage.

Taken from the Memoirs of a Jewish Baha'i Mr. Aziz'u'llah Azizi, download from here

No comments: