Tuesday, January 15, 2019

"You will make him a Baha'i also."

 
The greetings of several Jewish friends in America were presented and a delighted expression came over ‘Abdu'l-Bahá's face as He said: "See the Power of God, how He has united the Jew with you, such as Mírzá Lutfulláh here. In London, also, there is Yohanna Dawud. He is very good. He was a Jew. He is very good."

Mr. Latimer: "I remember some years ago Yohanna Dawud coming to our meeting in Paris. He spoke almost like an orthodox Christian, quoting the New Testament continually."

‘Abdu'l-Bahá: "Those of the Jews who become believers have much love for Christ. To the Jews we explain the reality of Christ. There was an English lady at ‘Akká. She was a missionary. She was very much against us. She was very prejudiced, that is, she had the utmost enmity. Whenever she would see a European or an American here she would commence to slander. She did this thinking perhaps she would convert them. One day there was a Jew with me, who had become a Bahá'í. We went to a shop. She was there also. Her colour flushed from excessive anger. I told her, ‘Dost thou know how much I love thee?' She said: ‘No.' I said: ‘As much as thou hatest me, just that much do I love thee. But if thou wishest to know how much that is, see how much hatred you have for me.' When I said this she laughed. I said: ‘Thou hast no right to hate me for this man was a Jew and I made him believe in Christ and the Holy Spirit, the Holy Ghost. I made him believe in the Heavenly Father. If you want to know, ask him.'

"She asked him: ‘Were you a Jew?' He said: ‘Yes.' ‘Are you a Christian? Do you believe in Christ?' ‘Yes.' Then I said: ‘Ask him, what are your reasons? What proofs have you that Christ is the Spirit of God, the Word of God? I taught him these. Ask him.' She asked. He began to give his proofs, first asking: ‘Do you want intellectual proofs or from the Book?' He proved the reality of Christ from the Old Testament. Then she asked for intellectual proofs. He gave her those also. She looked up and said: ‘In the name of God, this is very good. He has a very good faith, but thou wilt not let him remain a Christian. You speak to him of Bahá'u'lláh. If you do not speak of Bahá'u'lláh it is very good, but you will not leave him alone. You will make him a Bahá'í also."'
 

No comments: